Marc Altman, CGA, GIA GG
What is an Appraisal?
He has completed his education and is subject to annual testing for recertification in both gemology and methodologies of jewelry appraisals.
In conjunction with our state-of-the-art accredited AGS Gem-Lab, we possess the necessary skill and experience to render valuation reports for your jewelry items.
• Comparison – To verify the identity and quality claimed by a third party or to verify the value.
• Estimate to Replace – To determine the value of items that were lost or stolen.
• Damage – To indicate the weight loss resulting from re-cutting a damaged stone and its loss of value.
• Collateral – To use the jewelry or gemstones for obtaining a loan, etc.
• Donation and Gift – For tax deduction purposes based on IRS regulations.
• Barter – When parties are exchanging one commodity for another.
• Customs – To prove that an item was not purchased in a foreign country upon return.
• Casualty Loss – For an income tax deduction for lost and damaged items NOT covered by insurance.
• Conservatorship – To determine the value of the estate when an individual becomes incapacitated.
• Distribution of Property – To use with a will. Precludes heirs from squabbling over the estate.
• Proof of Ownership – To provide positive identification when items have been recovered.
Marc Altman is a Certified Gemologist and Certified Gemologist Appraiser of the American Gem Society. He holds a Graduate Gemologist degree from the GIA (Gemological Institute of America).
Most Common Types of Appraisals
Appraisals are performed in the store and your jewelry does not leave the premises.
Your jewelry, while in the care of B & E Jewelers, is insured by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company.
The American Gem Society (AGS) is dedicated to building trust and confidence with the jewelry-buying public. As a member of AGS, we aim to provide our customers with the very best service and information available in appraising diamonds and gemstones. We have a staff of credentialed professionals for insurance valuations and other gemological services.
An appraisal is an informed opinion to the authenticity, quality, design and value of a jewelry item. The opinion is backed by training, experience and equipment. Our appraisal document will give you an accurate and in-depth description of your items, including stone identification, weights and measurements, color and clarity, type of precious metals, value, and a photograph.
Important to Note
Other Types of Appraisal Services Available
Questions to ask your insurance agent...
Appraisal Fee Schedule
Diamond Jewelry per Item $ 110
Gemstone Jewelry per Item $ 90
Timepieces per Item $ 75
Gold Jewelry per Item $ 65
Appraisal Updates* per Item $ 45
*Originally Prepared by B&E
How Long Does it Take to do an Appraisal?
Insurance Documentation Report
Also known as an Insurance Appraisal, used to obtain jewelry insurance coverage against theft fire and damage.
This type of appraisal is to assure a replacement of equal utility, quality and value.
Estate for Tax Liability Purposes
When the fair market value of the jewelry exceeds $5,000.00.
This requires an appraisal of the cash surrender value of an item, based on what a willing buyer and a willing seller would agree to without a forced sale. An estate evaluation often consists of a number of pieces of jewelry, a variety of types - some in fair condition, while others may be badly worn. An estate appraisal is based on the premise that the collection is to be liquidated. Since it does not consider selling costs nor current costs for labor or creative design, this type of appraisal is normally lower than appraisals for replacement value.
To appraise property in which fair market value is used.
Our appraisal document will give you an accurate and in-depth description of your items, including stone identification, weights and measurements, color and clarity, type of precious metals and value, and a photo. Diamond plotting is available upon request.
An American Gem Society Store
Typically an appraisal can be completed within 5 business days, unless an appointment has been made for same day service.
A typical appraisal takes approximately one hour to complete.
Refinishing and repair services are available.
1029 Street Road
Southampton, PA 18966
TUE • THUR 10 -6
WED • FRI 10 - 7
SATURDAY 10 - 5
Closed • Sunday and Monday
1029 Street Road
Southampton, PA 18966