The American Gem Society (AGS) is dedicated to building trust and confidence with the jewelry-buying public. As a member of AGS, we aim to provide our customers with the very best service and information available in appraising diamonds and gemstones. We have a staff of credentialed professionals for insurance valuations and other gemological services.
Marc Altman is a Certified Gemologist and Certified Gemologist Appraiser of the American Gem Society. He holds a Graduate Gemologist degree from the GIA (Gemological Institute of America).
He has completed his education and is subject to annual testing for recertification in both gemology and methodologies of jewelry appraisals. In conjunction with our state-of-the-art accredited AGS Gem-Lab, we possess the necessary skill and experience to render valuation reports for your jewelry items.
Jewelry Appraisal Services
Our appraisal document will give you an accurate and in-depth description of your items, including stone identification, weights and measurements, color and clarity, type of precious metals and value, and a photo. Diamond plotting is available upon request.
What is an Appraisal?
An appraisal is an informed opinion to the authenticity, quality, design and value of a jewelry item. The opinion is backed by training, experience and equipment. Our appraisal document will give you an accurate and in-depth description of your items, including stone identification, weights and measurements, color and clarity, type of precious metals, value, and a photograph.
Typical Uses for an Appraisal
- To verify the identity and quality claimed by a third party or to verify the value.
- To determine the value of items that were lost or stolen.
- To indicate the weight loss resulting from re-cutting a damaged stone and its loss of value.
- To use the jewelry or gemstones for obtaining a loan, etc.
- For tax deduction purposes based on IRS regulations.
- When parties are exchanging one commodity for another.
- To prove that an item was not purchased in a foreign country upon return.
- For an income tax deduction for lost and damaged items NOT covered by insurance.
- To determine the value of the estate when an individual becomes incapacitated.
- To use with a will. Precludes heirs from squabbling over the estate.
- To provide positive identification when items have been recovered.
Appraisal Fee Schedule
- Diamond Jewelry – per item – $125
- Diamond 2.50ct & Larger – $180
- Rivera Necklace – $180
- Gemstone Jewelry – per item – $110
- Timepieces – per item – $95
- Gold Jewelry – per item – $75
- Charm Bracelet – $110
- Appraisal Updates* – per item – $50
- Item Purchased B&E – $25
- Engagement Ring Purchased B&E – Fee Waived
- *Originally prepared by B&E
- Pearls – $95
- Concierge by Appointment – $195
Questions to ask your insurance agent
- Will my claim – and the replacement value – be more readily acceptable if the appraisal has been done by an AGS jeweler, Certified Gemologist, Certified Gemologist Appraiser or Advance Personal Property Appraiser?
- What is the difference between scheduled and unscheduled coverage?
- Is there a deductible? If so, how much? Do I have the option to increase the deductible and thus lower the premium?
- Is my policy all-risk (partial loss, damage, theft, etc)?
- Am I still covered if there is negligence or carelessness involved?
- Is the item covered if lost, stolen or damaged while in the possession of someone else?
- If there is a loss, do I have a choice of full cash-out or will I have to accept less?
- Can I go to whomever I wish for the replacement?
- What is the premium rate per thousand for full coverage? Partial? What do I sacrifice for the limitations?
- Am I limited to the appraisal replacement cost should there be a sizeable increase in value?
- What if the insured item is irreplaceable, like an antique?
- Are there any security precautions required? If not, would there be a premium savings if special precautions were taken, e.g., the items were kept in a home safe or in a safety deposit box when not being worn?
- Are there different kinds of jewelry insurance available?
- What is the pair and set clause? Will the insurance cover an additional amount for matching a missing item in a set if it has not been computed and stated?
- Will you show me the actual language in the policy that addresses each concern I’ve expressed?
- Will the occurrence of an insured loss effect my continuing coverage?